Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

total noob. everyone was one once, right?

Air Cooled Beetles & Bugs

total noob. everyone was one once, right?

Postby DahliaBlackCloud » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Hello, I'm new here. Also new to VWs.

I'm about to purchase my first vintage bug (assuming the bug I've unearthed is worthy), and have researched extensively what to look for when buying. I'm not 100% confident that I will look at everything I need to, but I think I have the absolute basics down.

After my purchase, what should be the absolute first things I check/fix/change before I do anything else?

Any recommendations for VW resources in town? I'm also new to Albuquerque.

Any help/tips are appreciated!

Thanks!
DahliaBlackCloud

Re: total noob. everyone was one once, right?

Postby kaveh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Good brakes and tires will help keep you alive!
Addicted to old things with wheels.
kaveh

Postby weirdvolk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 am

Welcome!

From my experience with our bug I would change the brakes like Kaveh said.

Here's what I changed because it needed it.

1. Soft brake lines up front. They were internally swolen shut. I thought my master cylinder was shot.

2. Fuel lines. Didn't want the whole thing to go up in smoke. Foreign aide sells the correct cloth braided fuel line. I think the size is 5.5 mm, but they'll know for sure.

3. Fuel filter. Might as well while you change the fuel lines.

4. Plugs and wires.

5. Tires. I had waited to do this and had not one but two blow outs, the passenger rear and the spare.

Those are a few of the things I changed when we bought our bug. Some of which I wish I did right away. :shock:

-jt
|jt & vanessa|
-64 Bug
-79 Riviera Bus
weirdvolk

Postby kaveh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 am

weirdvolk wrote:1. Soft brake lines up front. They were internally swolen shut. I thought my master cylinder was shot.

2. Fuel lines. Didn't want the whole thing to go up in smoke. Foreign aide sells the correct cloth braided fuel line. I think the size is 5.5 mm, but they'll know for sure.

3. Fuel filter. Might as well while you change the fuel lines.

4. Plugs and wires.

5. Tires. I had waited to do this and had not one but two blow outs, the passenger rear and the spare.
-jt

These are all great suggestions. Definitely replace the fuel lines. It's amazing how many Volksies get burned up because the fuel lines split, rot, come off, etc., and cause a fire. While you're at it get a fire extinguisher and keep it somewhere that you can get to it quickly and easily. Seriously.

Also, electronic ignition is a quick/easy/cheap conversion that is a no-brainer in my book. Get the other stuff taken care of first though.
Addicted to old things with wheels.
kaveh

Postby dasluftvolks » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:25 pm

DO NOT USE THE BRAIDED GERMAN LINE. The ethanol in the fuel here breaks down the rubber VERY quickly and will need to be changed every 6 months to a year. For someone who is always working on their VW and can see or smell a leak easily its OK, but for a newbie its just a disaster waiting to happen.

I will be needing to replace my lines soon and they are only 7 months old!
dasluftvolks

Postby Glen73super » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Some sound advice listed here; I'm going through these things now since I just picked up my Super two weeks ago.

I wonder if you folks recommend using Braided fuel lines at all of any type?
Glen73super

Return to Type 1/Bug - through 1979