Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

my bug keeps dying ):

Air Cooled Beetles & Bugs

my bug keeps dying ):

Postby marlamarie58 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and I just have a few questions i would like to see if someone could answer. I have a '69 beetle and it keeps dying on me. the RPMs get too low so it just quits. The fuel filter runs dry and it isn't getting enough fuel to run and i have no idea why. The first thing i did was replace the fuel line inside the engine compartment. That seemed to fix the problem for a while. Then later i had to replace the fuel pump but it still wouldn't start. finally I replaced the distributor cap and roter and it started! a very rich run, but it ran. but after it runs a little while it will die again. I know it isn't vapor locking because the engine won't be hot but i can't seem to figure out what's wrong. i also had the timing done, but it wasn't with a timing light, and i replaced the spark plugs. if anyone could help me i'd be so greatful because i really don't like dying in the middle of the road and having to try to push it by myself. i posted this on another forum too, but i'm hoping with all the replies i get an answer that works. thank you!
marlamarie58

Re: my bug keeps dying ):

Postby busman78 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Check that fuel is actually flowing from the gas tank, over time the outlet/screen can get plugged with crud.
busman78

Postby ABQ 66 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:56 pm

eliminate electrical problems first, then look at the fuel stuff.

if the ignition timing is way off, it won't idle well and won't accelerate well. the mechanical advance distributors (like the 009) can be set easily without the engine running.

if you have a vacuum leak in the intake system somewhere, it won't idle well if at all.

if the carburator needs adjustment it can idle weird.

the pump can be tested by taking the line off the carb, place it in a container, (warning, be careful not to get gas on the electrical stuff or you will start the infamous engine fire)
and have someone crank the engine. it should be a pretty good flow even without the engine starting.

eliminate the easy stuff first.
ABQ 66

Postby faucetpants » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:30 am

When i first got my 68 it had the same problem it woul not idle prpoperly and die and leave me stranded. I replaced the fuel line and filter in the engine compartment checked the.fuel pump same problem. Tuned the carb new electric choke. replaced the 009 with pertronics ignition. And gave it a good static timing. Same problem. Got squirlly and pulled the gas tank and a good thing too b/c the previous owner had mended the gas tank with jb weld. The tank was rusted out and clogging the tank filter. And i suppose 40 years of sediment did not help. So a new tank$125 went in with a new tank filter and hit the fuel line in the tunnel with a compresser. And hooray. No more stalling and that was my journey. good luck
faucetpants

Postby DPLESS » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:36 am

I have a 73 bug and when I first got it I experienced the same problem. I went through everything and nothing seemed to help. Then I read about the jets and talked to the guys at Rob and Daves. I changed the jets and vawala. Runs great!
DPLESS

Postby marlamarie58 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:24 pm

well after finally figuring it out, it ended up being a faulty fuel pump. i took it back and put a new one on. had it all tuned and it runs!
marlamarie58

Return to Type 1/Bug - through 1979