Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

Installed rebuilt engine, but can't get it going!

Air Cooled Beetles & Bugs

Installed rebuilt engine, but can't get it going!

Postby hengle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi, gang, I'm stumped and frustrated.
Got an engine for my Bug, and it ran beautifully on the bench. Got it installed, and it'll crank/turn but I'm not getting any fuel past the fuel pump.
I've cleaned my fuel line and replaced all the rubber hosing, checked the pump (tall style), checked the carb (34 pict-4), and no luck. If I put gas into the carb, it'll start for as long as that fuel lasts.
Is it possible that the ride up from Los Lunas might have messed up the fuel pump?
I've been working on this thing in most of my spare time, and I really want to get it going this weekend. Any help or suggestions (or even "oh, here, let me fix that for ya, little girl" -yeah, I'm that desperate) welcomed! :oops:

Harriet
Harriet Engle
'69 Baja Bug (Benny Hillclimber)
Volkswagen does not build and sell cars. They build and sell mobile DIY kits cleverly disguised as cars. :-D
hengle

Re: Installed rebuilt engine, but can't get it going!

Postby ABQ 66 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 pm

If you're sure fuel flows to the pump by gravity, you know, raise the front of the car so the tank is higher than the fuel pump and disconnect the line from the tank to the pump to prove flow, problem is downstream of that.

I'm sure you looked and since it ran all the way here from Las Lunas it's probably not that the hoses are backwards at the pump.

You could bench test the pump if you want to take it off arrange hoses and a gas can then work the little lever at the bottom of the pump. Actually you can feel the vacuum suction a little on your skin too if it's working.

If that's all okay you've pretty much eliminated everything between the tank and the pump. Maybe the needle valve, float, or something like that in the carb is stuck. If you take the top off the carb real carefully so not to move anything inside you might prove a problem in there. No fuel or yes fuel in the bowl says something.

Maybe?

Let us know what you find.

Bruce
ABQ 66

Postby ABQ 66 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:55 am

didjafixit?
ABQ 66

Postby hengle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:13 am

Alas, no.
Swapped out carbs for the 34 pict-3 I rebuilt last summer, still not getting fuel past the pump. Neither pump that I have is working, apparently. The pushrod is 4 1/4", so should be working with either pump. Guess another fuel pump's on the shopping list. :-(
Harriet Engle
Volkswagen does not build and sell cars. They build and sell mobile DIY kits cleverly disguised as cars. :-D
hengle

Postby ABQ 66 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 am

Bummer!

For me, the quick check on rod length is comparing how high above the pump stand it sits before I put the pump on. The rod is barely above the stand for the 'short' pump and about 1/4" or so above for the 'tall' one.

Persistence prevails. Hang in there.
ABQ 66

Postby hengle » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:07 pm

It lives!!! Not the pushrod after all - the pump lost its prime, apparently, and couldn't get going till we put the pump on the ground for a bit and let it fill up. Reinstalled, and now it runs! :D

Still a bit rough, but now I can work on the finer points.

Harriet
Harriet Engle
hengle

Return to Type 1/Bug - through 1979