Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

carb and gas tank

Air Cooled Beetles & Bugs

carb and gas tank

Postby marlamarie58 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 pm

hello everyone, i'm looking for a replacement carburetor and a gas tank for my 69 beetle. the carburetor is a solex 30/31 i believe and i don't really know anything about the gas tank. if anyone knows where i could find either of these two or has one that they could sell to me at a reasonable price i'd be very appreciative. i'm working on restoring my bug to it's former glory and these are two parts i'd like to be able to find relatively soon. thank you so much!
marlamarie58

Re: carb and gas tank

Postby vdubzen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 pm

you sure the gas tank can't be repaired? is the interior of the tank real bad? you might be able with just por 15 the outside and take it to a radiator shop to have it cleaned out. there is a right up somewhere about cleaning the gas tank yourself to save money.
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby vdubzen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:56 pm

as for the carb, have you tried general parts?
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby marlamarie58 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 am

Actually, I haven't even pulled it yet. My father has been telling me to get a new gas tank even though I haven't pulled it yet. Thank you for the idea of just getting it cleaned and maybe repaired if it needed it, I hadn't thought of that. I figured general parts would be expensive mainly because foreign aid is. At foreign aid, they wanted $250 for a carb and I found one online for $150.
marlamarie58

Postby ABQ 66 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:27 pm

..., more thoughts on the carb. A good working original carb with still-tight throttle plate shaft bushings is hard to beat performancewise. If the original is worn out and leaking and all that stuff a new one might make good sense. The last time I priced a new carb for a single port engine at G.P., it was about $190. Not sure about F.A.

When it comes to carbs, I figure the price here includes the shipping and I would have someone to take it back to if there is a problem instead of the long distance time consuming hassles I could end up with (and I have). The folks at F.A. and G.P. are very helpful in my experience and they're right around the corner practically.

Is it worth $40 +/- in the case of a carburator to shop long distance? Just some thoughts.
ABQ 66

Postby hengle » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Also, if the carb bushings are tight and everything's in decent shape, a rebuild kit for a carb is much less expensive. I rebuilt mine last summer, and it works nicely.
Depending on the condition of the gas tank, there's ways to clean them out at home, or people who can clean them profesionally. Just be sure the tank is completely free of water before reinstalling. Are you aware of the little metal filter in the gas tank, held in by the outlet's nut? I got a new filter for mine and just cleaned the tank with some clean gravel and gas and it made a big difference. Filters are about $14 at General.

Harriet
Harriet Engle
'69 Baja Bug (Benny Hillclimber)
Volkswagen does not build and sell cars. They build and sell mobile DIY kits cleverly disguised as cars. :-D
hengle

Postby Zuesticle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 am

POR-15 Makes a gast tank kit... I saw it on the shelf at the Napa Paint Store downtown ABQ. Looks like a nice kit to prevent rust inside the tank. :idea:
Zuesticle

Return to Type 1/Bug - through 1979