Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

1968 squareback electrical issues

1968 squareback electrical issues

Postby jamtonio » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Ok so I am a complete novice here so bear with me. My fuel gauge has been kinda going crazy lately, red light coming on, green light never coming on, red light flickering then going off. I flicked it with my finger and they both worked for awhile, until finally the red one just stays on. They both come on at the start of the car now but the red just stays on. Meanwhile the fuel gauge needle is all over the place at times spazzing out. My speedometer as well has to be flicked at times for it to work and for the light to come on at night. The clock is a decoration at this point.

Diagnostics along with most things here are not my strong point, but I have a small understanding that it could be the voltage regulator, the generator, or brushes in the generator, but I have no way to test those things. So I'll have to take it into a shop. Not a problem.
Here's my questions/dilemma. The previous owner of this car bought some parts in anticipation of issues, mostly fuel injection issues but there was also a new NOS wiring harness in the purchase. Could it be that after 46 years I need to rewire the whole car? Time wise what am I looking at doing that? As a novice am I insane to try doing that myself? And will I have to do all the wiring for the fuel injection as well? I have a NOS wiring harness for that as well and a NOS computer brain for that too that came with the square. Am I over thinking this when all I need is a new or refurbished gauge? I would appreciate any advice, and sorry it's so long winded. I searched the samba a bit on this and found a million different opinions, an decided I should just ask this crew. Thanks a lot for any thoughts.
'68 Squareback
jamtonio

Re: 1968 squareback electrical issues

Postby ABQ 66 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 pm

My gauges freak out sometimes. I found that pushing the speed-o face into the dash a bit, the metal clips that hold the speed-o in actually touch metal (it grounds the body of the speedometer to the body). The gauges then work right. The dash lights freaking out may be another issue. See if that helps the gauge problem first.
ABQ 66

Postby jamtonio » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:48 pm

So thanks for your response and advice. The speedo seems to be working, I pushed it in a bit and didnt have to flick it yesterday. I did not do any night driving to see if the dash lights would work.
Today however my bigger problem is that it wont start. Battery power seems to be there. Lights work, etc... I went to start it and it turned over a few times then stopped. The fuel pump comes on as usual, but it just clicks when you turn the key to start. It tried to turn over here and there, but now it just does the one click and nothing. Fuel injection issue? Has my fuel injected nightmare begun?
The good news is that I have a guitar and it stays in tune, and I think I'll just play with that for awhile. :D
'68 Squareback
jamtonio

Postby ryman797 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Hey did you ever get the issue fixed, my bug did the same thing for a while and basically led down to the battery not getting enough juice to the starter. take it to autozone and get them to check your system and see if they cant find something.
74 Std. Baja
ryman797

Postby jamtonio » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:57 pm

I finally got this issue fixed, thanks to R&Z. After about two months and 4 generators.
Generator #1 mine original to the car could not be rebuilt
Generator #2 bought by the guys rebuilding my generator could not be fixed either and they gave up.
Generator #3 bought off ebay worked but just barely. Probably needs a simple rebuild.
Generator #4 bought here in town off Ed, it works. Why did I not just contact him sooner?
Now my windshield wipers don't work but hey, even though it's raining today.... tomorrow probably not!
That will be my next task. Can a screwy wiring problem in my dash controls wreak havoc elsewhere?
Anyone interested in teaching me the finer points of tearing my dash apart, let me know I can pay in beer or food or both.
Its nice to drive my square again! :D
'68 Squareback
jamtonio

Postby 73bugman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Have you checked the fuse for the wiper system? Should be the 8th from the left side. If fuse is good have you tried tracing the wires from the wiper assembly out? Maybe one got bumped while they were tackling the generator problems.
73bugman

Postby 73bugman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:56 pm

My bad, US version of fuses show wiper fuse as the 11th from left or second from right on block.
73bugman

Postby jamtonio » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:20 pm

I did check that first and it seems good.I have not traced the wires from the wiper assembly, but I'll look into it. Honestly those wipers were barely working when they did work. I have a new wiring harness for the car and I am working up the courage with my girlfriend to just rewire the whole car. After what, 47 years roasting in California, and New Mexico, it might be about that time. If any body wants to come and give us a tutorial or just help, we'd love your company.
'68 Squareback
jamtonio

Return to Technical, Perfomance & Modificatons