Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

Need help with dual carbs...maybe

Need help with dual carbs...maybe

Postby sgtpopwell » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:38 am

I have a problem with the stock carbs on my Fastback. I am running Solex 32 PDSIT-3's and I can't get the car to rev up properly. It will barely drive around in 1st gear, but as soon as you go anywhere near the throttle, it will bog out or backfire a little. I want to give these carbs a chance before just going out and replacing them with something aftermarket. Any clues on what to start checking? Thank you
Image Image
sgtpopwell

Re: Need help with dual carbs...maybe

Postby ABQ 66 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Rule out electrical problems first before blaming the dual carbs. Carbs wear out but don't change unless they are changed usually.
ABQ 66

Postby sgtpopwell » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:11 am

By "electrical problems" are you referring to possible issues with the timing/distributor/etc?
Image Image
sgtpopwell

Postby ABQ 66 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Yes, I would make sure plugs are good, gapped right, plug wires good, no breaks in them, cap is good, rotor is good, points gapped, timing at about 10-deg. btd initial (depending on the distributor). Then make sure your distributor is advancing with a timing light. The engine act like a real dog if it's timing is way retarded.

If all that stuff is good then look down the throat of each carb (ignition off) and give the throttle a push to and see if there is a good squirt from the pump nozzle (can cause that huge flat spot and lean pop). See what happens and what you find then go from there.
ABQ 66

Postby Aircooledcadillac » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:34 pm

I find with mine if I haven't set the valve lash , then Ignition timing then sync the carbs she can be a grumpy girl ,
Pro Mechanic , in Albuquerque if you need help or work done on your dub shoot me an email Deadsledlimo@yahoo.com or give me a call at 760 443 0960 names Chester just moved from SoCal my shop is at 7001 blue water here in the ABQ
Aircooledcadillac

Return to Technical, Perfomance & Modificatons