Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

Electrical system troubleshooting help

Electrical system troubleshooting help

Postby jimmyp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi, all,

I've got a 1970 Ghia coupe and need some help with the electrical system. Long story short: I replaced the turn signal switch, and things went from bad to worse. I blow the #1 fuse if I turn the right turn signal on, which kills my gas gauge, to boot. The gas gauge should be on fuse #2, per Bentley, so I think I'm already dealing with an un-textbook setup.

I'm looking for anyone willing to spend a few hours showing me how to troubleshoot electrical problems, payment in packs of six and/or eternal gratitude. I can understand the diagrams in the manual, and I understand the principles of electrical circuits and switches, etc, but all of that goes out the window as soon as I look at the rat's nest behind my dashboard. In other words, "check your grounds" means nothing to me ;-)

Please let me know if you'd be willing to throw some expertise my way, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm near the north UNM campus.

Thanks,
Jimmy
jimmyp

Re: Electrical system troubleshooting help

Postby vdubzen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Jimmy, if you still need a hand on sunday, i can come over. i am out of pocket till then in missouri, but come home on saturday.
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby jimmyp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm

That would be awesome. I'm scheduled to be beaten in racquetball from 8 - 9:00 AM, but I can change that if necessary. I'd much rather learn about VW electrical systems.

I'm at jimmy-at-jpontzer-dot-net, and any time you can spare to help me make sense of this grungy tangle of wires would be greatly appreciated. And please let me know what flavor of payment you prefer ;-)

And for anyone else interested in an impromptu tech day, just let me know and I'll throw some in the cooler for you.

JP
jimmyp

Postby kaferbus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:56 am

Chris and Jimmy....I may be able to come by as well!
kaferbus

Postby jimmyp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Sounds great. Send me an email and I'll send directions to my house.

Any time preferences? Sunday's looking a little chilly, so around noon might be the best/warmest.
jimmyp

Return to Technical, Perfomance & Modificatons