Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

engine fading out in hot weather

engine fading out in hot weather

Postby pskierst » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi all, I have a 1966 Beetle that I have bought in 1974 and drive everyday. Has anyone else out there had the experience of the engine refusing to restart after you've been driving in the heat, or stalling out when you reach a red light or something and the weather's warm and the engine is warm? My car has been doing this for a couple of summers now. Starts fine in the morning, drives fine, but pull up to a stoplight and the engine fades out. Stop to go into a store for a few minutes, come out, won't start up. If I wait 20-30 minutes, depending on how hot it is, starts up fine. My mechanic has worked ont this, tried different fixes, and a few months ago told me that new, lower octane gasolines boil at lower temperatures and so that's what was happening. He tuned the engine and encouraged me to buy the most premium gas I could find, which I have done. Problem is better, but lately the business of the engine just "fading out" at lights, etc... has been happening even in the evenings or mornings when it isn't very warm out. I thought someone out there might have experienced this, or have a thought about what to do about it. Any information would be welcome.
pskierst

Re: engine fading out in hot weather

Postby faucetpants » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey there. Have you checked your fuel pump stand. Sometimes they are too tight and when the motor gets up to temp it expands and chokes out the fuel pump rod from moving properly. I pulled mine and gave it a light sanding and it worked fine. I also had rust and debris clogging my fuel lines from a rusty tank. Good luck
faucetpants

Postby pskierst » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi. Thanks, just got this. My mechanic made an adjustment a few weeks ago that seems to be helping---that and the weather cooling a bit. But I will keep this in mind. Appreciate the response.
pskierst

Postby larry73 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 pm

my 74 did the same thing in the summer it was a vapor lock. Go the hood stand off , ya know keeps the hood open at the top a couple inches, no problems now
larry73

Return to Technical, Perfomance & Modificatons