Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

bus will not start

Splitties, the VW to Own!

bus will not start

Postby Rodger » Mon May 31, 2010 11:43 am

Hello all

I hope someone can explain this to me. It only happens sometimes.

When I try to start it, there is no starter sound and no solinoud click.

The volt meter drops to zero.

My battery is NOT dead.

thank you
-Rodger
Rodger

Re: bus will not start

Postby vdubzen » Mon May 31, 2010 2:26 pm

loose wiring or possible broken wiring maybe?
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby showdizzle » Mon May 31, 2010 5:08 pm

I had the same thing happen to one of my old bus's.

It turned out that the wire from the starter to the ignition swith wire was a bit loose on the ignition switch itself.

I would check that.

Does it happen when the bus gets hot? Or does it happen when its cold as well.

If its only when its hot, you may want to think about wireing in a hard start relay.

Or there could be a break somewhere in the wire between the ignition switch and the starter.

I hope this helps!!!
Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything. James 1:2-4
showdizzle

Postby Rodger » Mon May 31, 2010 5:25 pm

What is a hard start relay?

Would a loose wire at the ignition switch cause the voltage drop? I gues it might, i do not remember where I connected the volt meter.

thanks
Rodger
Rodger

Postby showdizzle » Mon May 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Roger,

This relay fits next to the starter and shortens the travel of amperage needed to engage the starter. Normally, 30 amps travel from the battery up to the front and then back to the starter. Amperage is commonly lost going this long distance. With a relay, a shorter loop is created with the necessary 15 amps to kick in the starter.

However,
More often than not it is just a loose, broken or shorted out wire. And considering that your voltage droped to 0 then chances are there is a loose connection

There is a wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and a thick wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter. If your wire is loose at the ignition switch or if the wire on the starter solenoid is not hooked up, depending on where your testing voltage, it will not read. The battery it self may test 12 volts but if you are testing in front of the starter then it may read nothing.

I would check all your connections first before resorting to a hard start relay. But they do work and you can get them at Forgine Aide or any online vw house. They really help with older VW's with original harness's that are pretty ratty and tattered. And with difficulty starting.

With my bus, I installed a relay because I was having a hard time getting my bus started when it was warm. It would crank when I first jumped into it, but if I drove to a store and tooled around town sometimes it would not want to start. It would engauge the solenoid but not turn the motor.
Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything. James 1:2-4
showdizzle

Postby Rodger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:36 pm

thanks

Loose wire found and tightened.

-Rodger
Rodger

Return to Type 2/Bus - 1949-67