Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

1969 High Top Sundial Camper project starts today!

1968-79

1969 High Top Sundial Camper project starts today!

Postby vgriego » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

phase 1
Last edited by vgriego on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
vgriego

Re: 1969 High Top Sundial Camper project starts today!

Postby showdizzle » Thu May 27, 2010 5:48 am

That sounds like a good plan bro!

There are 2 differant routes you can go with the external oil cooler.

There is a plate that goes over the oil pump which has a "in" and "out" on the cover so you can put a external oil filter on that. They have threaded holes that you can install some fittings into and then the hose can be routed anywhere you want to put it.
Foreign Aide sells those things,
Or.....

You can have the case "full flowed" which means a machine shop will work on your engine case and then you can thread in some fittings, one on the pump cover and one just below the crank pully.

The first one is the cheaper of the two options, I have never used the pump cover type, but I think for normal use it would be just fine.

It also depends a bit on if you are going to build a big motor for it.
I would recomend that if you are going to put anything bigger than a 1600, like say a 1776 then the case is going to have to be cut to clearance the pistons then you should just have the case "full flowed" at that point.

Either way it sounds like you are going to be having some fun!!!!

Hopefullly you can get it on the road again soon!
Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything. James 1:2-4
showdizzle

Postby vgriego » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks for the great advise SHOWDIZZ.

Looks like it will be awhile before i get so far along that i can install the x-ternal oil cooler. Tires hold air. Engine won't crank. i gotta admit, i'm a minor leaguer and was humbled and a bit discouraged because i think i wired the voltage regulator incorrectly. my friend up north will check the wiring for me. i spent the day gutting my camper of the old carpet and seats. cleaning the dormant engine and sweeping the deck. your quote from James is the remedy. thank you for that. it's what this is all about anyway, isn't it?

So i'm back in Albuquerque and back to square one with my bus 100 miles away. Off to do some shows in Austin and Dallas. Will resume project mid. June when back in town.
vgriego

Postby showdizzle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:57 pm

No worries bro!

Any time man, thats why we are here!

That sounds like it could have been a lot worse bro. I have done that a time or two. hahhahahahah! I wired a pertronix ignition backwards one time, needless to say I fryed it the minute I turned the key on. That was a bummer! 75 bucks out the door! I really thought it was a bad unit and then once I realized that I had the wires backwards, I was humiliated! But I can laugh about it now. :lol:

Keep your head up bro, it will come soon enough.
Just think about it this way, now the next time you wire up a voltage regulator, it will take half the time and you will have the confidance to do and know you are doing it right.
The best lesson's are the hardest falls. :D
Everyone here has a more than a few stories, so keep at it.
Most importantly, enjoy the time you get!

A good cleaning is always fun. Especially once its done and you can see things clean and shiney again, or at least sanatized and ready for reuse. Hahhaha!

You live in Alb correct?
Let me know if you want some help man!
Jon
Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything. James 1:2-4
showdizzle

Postby vgriego » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Finally got the camper on the road. Reverted to the golden rule: Let someone who knows get his hands on it before the mess gets worse. Body work complete, high-end primer applied. She looks great and runs ok for now. Time to tweak and adjust. Shifting is very tight, steering a bit sloppy timing a bit off. But it’s fall now, not so hot during the day, and I am anxious to get her to Albuquerque with out using a flat bed. Fine tuning and interior work are next. She’s going to have to stay primed (grey) for quite a while but looks clean that way too.
Thanks Sho-D, for the encouragement, I owe you breakfast if you ever are in the downtown Burque area. Give me a call, fellowship over VW II, can’t be better, bro. Vicente Griego if you got facebook.
vgriego

Postby tomthetoyman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Bay windows rule...

Post some photos!
tomthetoyman
Site Admin

Postby vgriego » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:52 pm

IMG_0036.jpg
15 year slumber
IMG_0036.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
vgriego

Postby vgriego » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:58 pm

off to the Doc.
Attachments
IMG_0203.jpg
off to the Doc.
IMG_0203.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
vgriego

Postby vgriego » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:02 pm

body work done and primed.
Attachments
IMG_0035_2.jpg
IMG_0035_2.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
vgriego

Postby vgriego » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:51 pm

tomthetoyman wrote:.
Bay windows rule...

Post some photos!

Here's a few photos, thanks for asking, tomthetoyman. Getting there little by little.
vgriego

Next

Return to Type 2/Bus - Bay Window