Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

Insulation

1968-79

Insulation

Postby Denver » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:17 pm

I have done some reading on insulation for my bus, but there is so much I would like to know what you guys think about the various insulation products and where to insulate. I am looking to replace the insulation above the headliner and the rear cargo area ( I removed the tar/fiber strips). I want to keep as original as possible.
Thanks
Denver

Re: Insulation

Postby vdubzen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 am

hey denver, i plan on using reflectix for my bus. you can get rolls of this at lowes and i believe home depot.

i would stay away from anything that will hold moisture like open faced fiberglass insulation and also the spray on foam insulation. there is also roll on automotive paint for sound deadening and insulating. i haven't read too much on these so i don't have an opinion on them yet.
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby kaveh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Reflextix is the foil bubble wrap stuff, yes? I used that in my Double Cab and the difference was amazing: much quieter and warmer in the winter (I had no insulation prior to that). I glued it on with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and after a summer it started peeling off. I haven't got around to finding a better glue and reapplying yet.
Addicted to old things with wheels.
kaveh

Postby dasluftvolks » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am

x2 on the foil bubble wrap. I used it on the roof and the engine area and it cut the heat and noise considerably.
dasluftvolks

Return to Type 2/Bus - Bay Window