Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

Greetings from a new bay owner.

1968-79

Greetings from a new bay owner.

Postby Rancho5 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:32 pm

IMG_1805.jpeg
IMG_1805.jpeg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Just picked up a 69. I'll see if I can post pics.
Rancho5

Re: Greetings from a new bay owner.

Postby vdubzen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Welcome to the group!! tell us more about the bay when you can.
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby Rancho5 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Well, I just got it home from a friends house where we had it towed after we bought it. It has sat for the past 4 years. On the way home it died on every corner, but fired right up. The PO rebuilt the engine and only put 10k on it before parking it. He bought a different car and never had time for this one again. It's kind of a hippy van: Shag carpet, candles, flower interior. Kind of really cool actually. It needs an entire brake job, which I will attempt and I've got to figure out how to keep it from dying. If you want to come take a look, I'd love some feedback. I live in Rio Rancho.

My wife and I both had bugs in college (80's), she restored a 64 Beetle convertible and I drove a 71 California bug. We both had them when we met so it was kind of cool.

Now my daughter owns a 69 Beetle and we just bough the van for our son when he gets back from Chile, serving a two year mission for our church. He's always wanted one and for $1,200 I couldn't pass it up.
Rancho5

Postby vdubzen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:10 pm

sounds cool! i might have to take you up on coming over. I am working in houston right now, but will be coming home this weekend for a few weeks. keep on going through it and if you have any questions, ask away. there are a few people that live in rio rancho on the site. i myself live in the NE Heights.

hope to see you around soon.
Chris
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby Rancho5 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am

I'd actually like to know how all the seats fold down into beds. I'm teaching my son to change the oil Saturday then he and his friend will wax 4 years of oxidation off, which kind of worries me since the paint job is "unique" enough. Having it "bright and unique" may be too much :)

We are finding all sorts of parts stored under the benches too. Bags of new door seals, a box of coils, jack stands, mouse turds, etc. I asked if he wanted to go through it before we towed it away and he said to just take it all. So Saturday will be a treasure hunt.
Rancho5

Return to Type 2/Bus - Bay Window