Albuquerque Air Alliance / Rt 66 Aircooled VW Club

AAA VW Club

My Dune Buggy Build.

Re: My Dune Buggy Build.

Postby Faron » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 am

It has been a long time since I posted the progress on my Buggy, so I figure that it is about time.

When I got the cage home from Coaches Chassis I went to work on smoothing out the welds. With a tiny bit of grinding, a little Body Filler, and a lot of elbow grease I made it look pretty darn good. It does not show it in the pics bellow, but I had to remove the side bars in order to fit the new seats. Kind of a bummer but what can I do, gotta sit in it to drive it. LOL Besides, a Buggy is not much safer then a Street Bike. With or without the show cage.

Once the roll cage was finished I pulled everything off the chassis, sanded it down and then primed & painted it black. LOADS and Loads of Purple was on the chassis, suspension, heck even the transaxle was purple. So glad that step is finished. I bought a carpet kit because it will be really nice that way.

I know what you are thinking, Faron is crazy for putting a Billet Aluminium front end on a street car. They are so good looking, I am willing to take a chance on it. This will be a Street Buggy and will not see much time on the dirt. I also have the disk brake conversion on both front and back.

This is where the fiberglass itches started. Here is the body just before I started working on ending its time as a purple people eater.

I had a fix a crack here.

I did not like the fact that it had a recessed area for a front license plate, so I filled it in. (There is more to it then you can see, and it to much typing to tell you how I did it.) I also had to fix a few holes and the such from owners before me so that I could put stuff where I wanted.

Here you can see where I am with the chassis at this point, it is starting to look like a car again insted of a garage full of parts n stuff.

Creamcicle Orange is the basecoat that I went with. I will bust out the airbrush to give it a little more style. But all in all I really like the color, and it looks way better in person.

This is me painting the body in my brothers garage.

Here is the body outside in the sun, I really like the color. The Black, White, Yellow, graphics are really going to man up this car.

I guess that is just about it for now, tell me what you think.
Faron

Postby vdubzen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:18 am

Your work is outstanding, i for one can not wait to see her done!
60 Karmann Ghia
68 Tin Top Camper
71 Panel Bus
74 Beetle
vdubzen
Club President

Postby tomthetoyman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:02 am

Wow!
tomthetoyman
Site Admin

Postby Faron » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks guys! I had a lot of help from Tony. To bad he is going back to California and will no longer be able to help. Anyone wanna come give me a hand, its about time to wire it up and I am about at the end of my knowledge. I have a nice grill and can fill a cooler! LOL
LOLImageLOL
Faron

Postby ABQ 66 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 am

The cage cleaned up nicely. That must have been a lot of work.

I like that color too. I was looking at a 50's Georgia Peach and picked Light Peach for a Squareback in 1991. Wish I had gone with Georgia Peach more like the orange you've got there.

Can't wait to see the end result.
ABQ 66

Postby Faron » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks, I am not finished with the paint just yet. Going to give it a little black, white, and BRIGHT Yellow perhaps a little purple.

I still could ues a little electrical help, any takers?
Faron

Postby tomthetoyman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm not an expert with electrical and don't believe we can't get someone in the club to step up. I'm pretty good with food though, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.
tomthetoyman
Site Admin

Postby Faron » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 am

As of today I am 60 days beyond my target date of completion and it is still not finished. (Well is a project car ever really finished?) I am very close to being able to drive this thing, and I want to take it to a show on the 30th in Ruidoso if its not canceled. I may call Jerry at General Parts to see if they can do a few things for me so that I can make sure I finish in time to drive around and make it to a show or two this summer.
Faron

Postby ABQ 66 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:03 pm

PM sent; call me.
ABQ 66

Postby Faron » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:14 pm

AWESOME Thanks!
Faron

PreviousNext

Return to Other - VW Vehicles